Monday 21 March 2011

The Australian Pink Floyd Show... pink kangaroos?

I'm reduced to this. Thankfully not alone though. Born about 20 years too late for my taste in music, many of my musical heros are geriatric or deceased (or indeterminably, one of the two). So it is often tribute bands that offer me the 'live' experience my music deserves. The APFS (I'm not writing it out each time I mention them...) have been going now for around 20 years and are the closest you're going to get a real Pink Floyd experience.

I first saw them over 12 years ago and they have come a loooong way since then. Close your eyes now and only the truest of fans will miss Gilmour's unmistakable (and clearly unmimmickable) voice and the fluency of play that can only come from the original artist. At times though, even the most ardent fan has to acknowledge how good the APFS are. Sorrow, Time and Wish You Were Here are the clear stand out tracks from the current set-list (which incredibly includes a number from Animals - when was the last time you heard one of those tracks live?).

Tears were being shed through Wish You Were Here as everyone in the small Hammersmith Apollo Theatre joined forces to drown out the band, singing in complete harmony, mournfully watching the images of Syd Barret and Rick Wright (both now departed from our world) and pictures of the rest of the band in their youth and more recent. We were all wishing they could be with us, perhaps not to be on stage but more to experience their legacy. They would have been touched, no doubt.

The new 3D element was unnecessary and a slight distraction if anything, but complaints are hard to find. The new lead singer, taking many of Gilmour's parts was the campest Gilmour I've ever heard, but then he did not miss a note, word or emphasis and how do you copy Gilmour's voice?

A great night with great fans and a great band paying homage to a great band.

What I'm currently drinking:
...well, I've still got some left after St Patrick's day...

Currently listening to:
The album that convinced me there was more to the Boss than just being Born in the USA etc. A great album with some outstanding songs from a fella that can apparently write songs in his sleep. (If you get the chance, check out how many songs he's written for other people!)

No comments:

Post a Comment